FLY Film Lab 2019 (hereinafter the "Film Lab”), an ASEAN-ROK Co-operative Project organized by Busan Film Commission-Busan Asian Film School (AFiS), issues a call for applications. The Lab is an ASEAN-ROK film script lab where 11 selected feature-length fiction film projects in development from 10 ASEAN member nations and the Republic of Korea are given an opportunity to strengthen their competitiveness and to heighten the potential of actualizing their projects into films. ASEAN and Korean filmmakers who are interested in international co-production are sincerely welcome to apply
Download for Application Form
○ Title: FLY Film Lab 2019
○ Project Description: The FLY Film Lab provides film directors or/and producers from 10 ASEAN member nations and the Republic of Korea with feature-length fiction film scripts in development with opportunities to receive mentoring on their scripts from specialists, in order to strengthen the competence of their projects, further develop their business skills, and increase the likelihood of actualizing their projects through pitching training.
○ Where & When: Philippines (July), Busan, Republic of Korea (October)
○ Hosts: Busan Metropolitan City (Republic of Korea)
○ Organizer: Busan Film Commission-Busan Asian Film School
○ Sponsor: ASEAN-ROK Cooperation Fund
○ Cooperation: Film Development Council of the Philippines
○ Curriculum - Lab Session 1: Mentoring on scripts and pitching, lectures, project presentation sessions for the 11 projects selected at the first stage - Online mentoring: Mentoring on scripts for the 5 projects selected from the 11 projects at the second stage after the Lab Session 1 - Lab Session 2: Mentoring on script and pitching, lectures, project pitching sessions for the 5 projects selected at the second stage
II. Important Dates
○ Announcement for Recruitment: March 11 (Mon.) – April 24 (Wed.), 2019
○ Period of Application: April 15 (Mon.) 00:00 – 24 (Wed.) 18:00, 2019 (Korea Standard Time)
○ Finalists Announcement: May 15 (Wed.), 2019 (subject to change)
○ Schedule of the Main Programs and Events [11 projects selected in the first stage]
- Lab Session 1 (in the Philippines): July 1 (Mon.) – 5 (Fri.), 2019 (5 Days) *Arrival: June 30, Departure: July 6 [5 projects selected from the 11 projects after Lab Session 1]
- Online Mentoring: August, 2019 (TBA)
- Lab Session 2 (in Busan, Korea): September 28 (Sat.) – October 9 (Wed.) (12 Days) *Arrival: September 27 (Fri.), Departure: October 10 (Thu.)
○ Feature-length fiction film projects (running time 60 min or longer)
○ Either a director or producer from one of the 10 ASEAN member nations and Republic of Korea (nationality holders only) should be attached to the projects and can be an applicant.
○ A maximum of two persons, including the applicant, from each selected project can be invited to the programs in each stage, such as online mentoring, Lab Session 1 and Lab Session 2. The invitees are also limited to the director, producer or writer from the 10 ASEAN member nations and Republic of Korea. All programs will be given in English, so at least one participant from each project should be fluent in English.
○ Projects in development having a script written in or translated into English (Projects which are planned to be made by the end of 2019 should not apply.)
○ If the work is adapted from an existing source, the applicant must secure the adaptation rights and submit a digital copy of the document confirming those rights. (If the document isn’t written in English or Korean, it should be translated into Korean and notarized.)
○ Projects that are not fully financed and are open to the potential for international co-production.
○ Projects that have been selected or supported by other funds or programs may apply.
IV. Application Guidelines
○ Targeted Projects: feature-length fiction film projects with a script in development (running time 60 min or longer) from ASEAN member nations and Republic of Korea, written in or translated into English
○ Period of application: April 15 (Mon.) 00:00 – 24 (Wed.) 18:00, 2019 (Korea Standard Time)
○ Method of application: via email
○ Where to submit: Busan Film Commission-Busan Asian Film School email@example.com
○ Evaluation Process: Busan Film Commission will select 11 projects through evaluation by the selection committee composed of film industry experts with the cooperation of film-related organizations in ASEAN member countries.
V. Required Documents for Application
○ Application form (attached) * Online/Downloadable
○ Project Proposal including following details (free form) - Project title - Log line (no more than 50 words)
- Synopsis (no more than 400 words)
- Development idea (no more than 400 words)
- Bios and filmographies of the director, producer or writer (fixed positions) (no more than A4 1 page for each person)
- Profile of production company (optional) (no more than A4 1 page)
- Production schedule (no more than A4 1 page)
- Budget breakdown in USD (no more than A4 2 pages)
- Financing plan in USD (no more than A4 1 page)
- Online links to trailer for project, if available (optional)
- Online links to previous works, either short or feature films, of director or producer (optional)
○ Treatment (A4 10 pages or more)
* If available, please submit the treatment written in the original language as well.
○ Script (A4 40 pages or more)
* If available, please submit the script written in the original language as well.
○ Digital copy of the passport of the applicant
○ Digital copy of the documents confirming rights of adaptation (if the project is adapted)
* If the document isn’t written in English or Korean, it should be translated into English and notarized
VI. Additional Information
○ An applicant can apply with one or more projects. However, each project should be submitted with a separate application form.
○ Submitted documents will not be returned to applicant.
○ Flight tickets, accommodations and per diem will be offered to the invitees (maximum 2 persons from each selected project) for each Lab Session.
○ Please read carefully the attached rules and regulations of the FLY Film Lab 2019 to get more detailed information on benefits, duties, etc. before applying.
Busan Film Commission (AFCNet Secretariat)-Busan Asian Film School: firstname.lastname@example.org